Sleep is a necessity of the human body that brings relaxation to all the body organs, after a long day’s activity. But the crucial fact is that only a perfectly sound sleep may provide the desired result for the physical and psychological stability of a person. On the contrary, disturbed sleep can lead the body to experience horrible fatigue during the day, as well as result in the absence of concentration and irritated mood.
But there are some essential oils that are known to be effective in creating sound sleep, curing all of the sleep disorders. These natural oils are all extracted from the flowers, fruits, as well as the wood of several types of trees and plants.
- Lavender Oil – This sweet-scented oil comes from the lavender flowers, which has an exceptional effect to calm down anxious feelings. So it is ideal to apply this oil before going to bed at night, to ensure sound sleep without any disturbance. Just 1-2 drops of lavender oil ought to be added to the pillow or directly to the forehead, wrists, and feet of the user so that its soothing essence can help him/her fall asleep very quickly.
- Roman Chamomile – Many men and women are used in the normal consumption of chamomile tea to health reasons. However, this essential oil derived from the Roman chamomile plant is helpful in relaxing the body and head of a user. The soft herbal essence of this oil resembles the scent of apple to some extent. This sweet fragrance acts as a stress-reliever and reduces all negative emotions, like anger, bitterness, and irritation.
- Cedarwood Oil – This oil is derived from the bark of the cedarwood shrub. It’s used for relaxing the agitated nerves, due to the natural sedative power. A couple of drops of this essential oil can be added to the pillow of a patient suffering from insomnia and watched the difference instantly. Aside from inducing a sense of tranquility, this oil helps in fighting common cold and distinct household pests.
- Vetiver – This oil is obtained from vetiver grass, which is also called khus-khus in many Asian countries. It may be applied directly to the body skin for reducing psychological stress, leading to sound sleep at night. Additionally, it works quickly in soothing mental traumas and psychological shocks. It is used as a medicine for the relaxation of nerves and to stimulate the circulatory system of the body.
- Valor – This essential oil is made by mixing rosewood oil, frankincense oil, black spruce oil, and blue tansy oil. Its woody scent helps in maintaining balance in the nervous system, resulting in increasing the physical and psychological strength of the user. Moreover, it induces courage, self-confidence, and concentration. Hence, a few drops of the oil ought to be massaged on the torso, feet, chest, and neck before going to bed or might be added to the massage oil for a full-body massage.
- Orange – This oil is derived from the peels of refreshing orange, for which it has a sweet, fruity fragrance that calms down a disturbed mind. Once it uplifts the mood of the user and acts as an anti-depressant; this oil also known to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains d-limonene, which is an antioxidant and consequently, helps in regenerating body cells.
- Stress away – This essential oil is produced by mixing lime essential oil and vanilla extract. Sometimes, other pure essential oils, such as lavender oil and cedarwood oil are added to the useful oil to make it a much more powerful sleep-inducing agent. The sweet citrus aroma of the oil calms down emotions and leaves the user mentally peaceful, by forcing out all tensions and hard feelings from his/her mind.
The best way of using these essential oils is to spray into the nostrils with the support of a small home diffuser. In the absence of such a tool, one can simply rub a few drops of any of these oils on the palms and inhale the essence, by cupping the hands in front of the nose. These oils can also be massaged gently on the neck, chest, hands, and feet, to cause quicker and sounder sleep.