The breeding stock should be selected when they reach 4 to 5 weeks old. The breeder should be selected from the largest litter. In males, it’s extremely essential to see the presence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down from the body cavity at 12 weeks of age. Raccoon Poop
- Extensive type of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding soon after weaning. Does are therefore mated once every 2.5 months. This is the best suited for tropical countries like India.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 weeks of age.
- Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 months old. Mating is performed immediately after kindling. Usually this practise is followed in western nations.
Always females should be put to the pen of male to avoid fighting. Mating should be done during coolest part of the day like early morning or late evening. After successful mating the male usually generates a normal cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the breeding the male one needs to be removed from the cage. The male shouldn’t be greater than 3 to 4 times in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times a day. The ratio of male to female is 1:10. Both genders should reach 70 percent of their adult body weight.
The breeding season is all but throughout year. But in India, fall stress is encountered during hot weather.
Signs of heat in females
- Restlessness, Rubbing the chin on the sides of the cage.
- They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
- In heat, the female rabbit accepts male, otherwise it rejects.
- In warmth, the female assumes a typical pose known as”lordosis” where the spine is arched downward and hind quarter is raised.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding occurs after a week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is shown one week before weaning.